Outbreak Training Website
This website is part of a training package which can be accessed through the ASHM Learning Management System (LMS).
To complete the competency assessment questionnaire and receive your training certificate please log into the ASHM LMS. You will find the training in the course catalogue under STI/BBVs.
For any queries please contact ASHM
Tel: (+61) 02 8204 0700
Email: [email protected]
There is is an ongoing outbreak of infectious syphilis in central and northern Australia among priority populations including young Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander peoples and women of childbearing age. The current declared outbreak regions include rural and remote areas in Queensland, Northern Territory, Western Australia, and South Australia. Notification rates are also increasing significantly in all states and territories, including metropolitan areas, outside of the declared outbreak regions.
This syphilis training website provides integral professional development for any health practitioners working in declared syphilis outbreak regions including doctors, nurses, midwives, Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander Health Practitioners and/or Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Health Workers.
The training will include the following modules:
- Epidemiology – what regions and populations have been affected?
- Current outbreak
- Outbreak responses
- Clinical stages – what type of illness you can get with syphilis?
- Testing and treatment
- Interpreting syphilis test results
- Notifying public health units (PHUs)
- Contact tracing
The training includes a short assessment for participants to demonstrate their competency and to achieve a certification of completion.
- Identify priority populations to routinely test for syphilis in relation to the current outbreak in WA, SA, NT and QLD.
- Describe the clinical stages of syphilis and identify clinical symptoms.
- Interpret syphilis serology test results and administer recommended treatment as per scope of practice.
- Understand the importance of syphilis partner notification and contact tracing.
- Access relevant national, state and local guidelines for the testing, management, contact tracing and notification of syphilis.
Contact: Please email [email protected] if you require assistance or have a clinical question you would like to raise with a medical educator.
Accreditation & Endorsement
ASHM is an RACGP-accredited CPD Provider under the RACGP Program. Due to the transition to the new RACGP triennium, this activity's accreditation is pending. Participants will need to self-record this activity via Quick Log through their RACGP myCPD dashboard.
This online training course is endorsed by ACN according to our Continuing Professional Development (CPD) Endorsed Course Standards. It has been allocated 2 CPD hours according to the Nursing and Midwifery Board of Australia – Continuing Professional Development Standard.
This online training program has been endorsed by NAATSIHWP for 2 CPD hours until September 2024.